Can't afford Management courses? DIY learning options.
You can learn about management consulting without attending a prestigious university. For their well-liked online strategy courses, several prestigious universities charge extremely hefty tuition. The truth is that not everyone can pay those costs.
But, as a popular quote goes,
If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.
So, if you can't afford the fee, don’t be disheartened. Instead, start looking for alternate solutions.
Here are a few tools that can be used to improve your skills and launch a career in strategy.
Wisdom comes from living.
So, start learning by doing things. You can create a simple startup or take up internship in prestigious organizations.
Margaret Fuller said, "Today a reader, tomorrow a leader". So, start looking for good books that would help you to enhance your knowledge.
Here's a few suggested reads:
- Blue Ocean Strategy
- Competitive Strategy
- Crossing the Chasm
- Competing in the Age of AI
- Good Strategy, Bad Strategy
- Good to Great
- Playing to Win
- Start with Why
- The Art of Strategy
- The Innovator's Dilemma
- Your Strategy Needs a Strategy
Almost everything in this world is now globally connected. So, look for other courses or sources.
Here's a few selected options:
- Asia Tech Strategy Podcast
- Fundamentals of Management- a free course on Coursera, by Goldman Sachs
- Global Governance Initiative Impact Fellowship with employment support for strategy roles
- Inside The Strategy Room Podcast
- Strategy Simplified Podcast
- The So What, from Boston Consulting Group (BCG) podcast
- The McKinsey & Company Podcast
- The Strategy Kills Podcast
- Wharton's Business Strategy Specialization free course on Coursera
Hopefully, this article will assist you in getting started.